Atlantis.
We had been to Cape Canaveral- Florida. That is the place where from NASA launches most of its space ventures. Seeing the Atlantis space shuttle being launched in front of our eyes with a satisfying closeness to the launch was truly an exciting moment.
Initially I had over exaggerated thoughts in my mind which some what lessed my expectations at the launch. The lauch was to happen at an island on a lake, a part cut off from the Atlantic. We were at the shore of the lake and almost touching the waters at the shore. I initially felt that things like tremors etc would be felt at the time of the lift off. I felt there would be small Tsunamis emerging due to the intense power generated at the lift off. But nothing that sort happened. It was peaceful and was fun to watch. Some 1:10 mins after lift off there was a thundering sound and some vibrations was to be felt. For a moment I was slightly skeptic as the Columbia disaster flashed in my thoughts for a moment. Then I realized somtime later that the sound and the vibrations were produced as the shuttle crossed the sound barrier. After some 3-4 mins the booster rockets splintered and the shuttle was not to be seen. It must be having a good time in the space now.
It had 7 people on board and was on a 11 day mission.
Also some facts about Cape Canaveral. It was initially called Cape Kennedy due to the enthusiam shown by JFK for the space programme. Also, Cape Canaveral being quite close to the equator than any other place in the US, it results in some cost cutting to send the shuttles around the equator.

2 Comments:
Just wondering, what is the difference between "The original" and "The naked truth"?
Monkey, donkey, you never told me when you wrote this!! Forget about the comment now..
SHE
Post a Comment
<< Home