Monday, September 04, 2006

My First Blood Donation..

Dr D.Y. Patil Medical College had organised a Blood Donation camp in my college today. I thanked my good sense for not having antibiotics since the past 3 days despite my cough, else I would not have been eligible for the donation. Blood donation had been on my agenda since the time I understood the very concept of it. Its fascinating to lend a flow of life into somebody else's body.

Most of my friends had been disqualified for the donation. The various reasons for it were:
  • Intake of paracetamol in the past 3 days
  • Intake of antibiotics for the past 3 days
  • Intake of alcohol in the past 3 days
  • Hospitalization due to malaria/ typhoid/ jaundice in the past 6 months

As a result they flocked around me and video-taped the entire event, finding nothing better to kill their time with. Their investment was rewarded when about fifteen minutes after the donation, I started feeling, and acting funny. I guess that is how getting drunk must feel. I couldn't stop laughing, couldn't put one foot after the other without wobbling and felt the world spinning with every turn of my head.

Anyway.. now that I am back to my senses and seem to have regenerated the 350 ml of blood that I had donated, I feel something very happy inside me. Probably it's because I did something which I had wanted to experience since so long. Probably because I had glorified the idea of donating blood in my mind too much. So many people do it.. And they do it so regularly.. And it's probably not that big a deal.. But for me it satisfied something inside me immensely. "Doing Something For Others" is a huge notion and I don't think I have ever acted upon it consciously, not even as a beginner. Donating blood might have been a simple way... one of the millions... of Social Work. It gives a strange feeling to realize that the blood taken out from my body will be transfused into that of a stranger's... And I'll never come to know who's the one with whom I have shared a piece of my heart with.

SHE

4 Comments:

At 4:54 AM, Blogger Procrastination Sucks said...

hmmm.. what a coincidence... i wanted to open orkut but Naked Truth was there in my address bar. seeing it i thought of reading your poem once again and ... came across this stuff. so i will be the first one to comment. :-)
first of all congrats for getting ur wish fulfilled! even i had come there but everyone laughed at me , including you. they felt i would need some. so did not even ask the doctors. and did so rightly. anyways coming back to you. your blog again reinforces my saying that you are meant to give life to others. you do. at least for me you are my energy source.:-)
i missed on how you behaved after donating blood. i hope it has been videotaped.
it also reveals a new aspect of your personality to me. i am happy.
:-)

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Wandering Soul said...

well after reading ur stuff..it seems i missed a lot..not on wat happened to u or d after effects on u but wat cud hav been a life reinforced into sum1. i feel like i wud be flowin in sum1's heart had i donated sum bt cudnt due to my high BP. chalo koi nahin ...accha hai ek jindagi tabah hone se bacha li maine..main to hoon hi bekaar shayad mere khoon s ekoi aur bhi ho jata...wat happens,happens 4 d gud!!!!!!!!!!!

QUE SERA SERA!!!!

 
At 3:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) Yep, it is good to donate blood.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Spirit said...

You have a different motive only!! ... i go there for the free biscuit and other goodies :P


Kidding, good that you felt what you felt. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home