Monday, July 10, 2006

I miss Chuck ......



I have not been listening to metal and death metal of late. But yesterday night my friend's new Discman was lying unused and I could not help myself from listening to some metal. Minutes after listening to a song 3 times in pitch darkness I found myself morose. Quite morose for quite sometime.

The song I listened to was "Empty Words" and the band was "Death". Death was led by one man; it was a one man army-- Late Chuck Schuldiner.

Chuck is widely regarded as the father of death metal, rather progressive death metal. Chuck was the lead guitarist, lyricist and the voice of Death. I was obsessed with the innovative and technical music that he gave, was obsessed with his persona, was obsessed with his serenity which is very unlikely with metal freaks. I wanted to see him play live, wanted to see him materialistically, wanted to listen to his albums after albums till the end.

In december 2001, when I had really become a "Death" manic, Chuck lost a long fought battle with brain tumor. Seems unconnected, but I was so emotionally into his music that his death broke me. He seemed at the peak of his career at that time, but I knew it was just the tip of the iceberg and his music would only elevate with time. But it will never be proved. Out of the 6 albums he released I have loved all his songs. The variations maybe there within every song of his, but ultimately I have cherished all his works. Chuck was never too commercial. He played only for music as a true musician. I don’t know if this is strange, I have always been drawn into his persona.

Every aspect of his music was art personified. The rattling drums, the doomy, heavy and tight guitar riffs, his strong and slightly screeched vocals all seems to be amalgamated wonderfully. He kept his music tight, very precise and accurate which meant missing even a single beat or change in tempo would mean rotting of the entire song. So tight that once a beat missed is too difficult to be caught up or compensated, at least for bands other than Death covering (copying) their songs. Well, that’s the case with all the metal songs but Death was out to a different level. That's the most intriguing part about progressive music.

Apparently at the peak of his career..... Just 34 years old...... out of the world vocals...... electrifying guitars.......cryptic lyricist and composer........ Tumor...... Death.

I will always miss him. Will wish every time I listen to him to have the opportunity to relish his music still more.

P.S- People who are new into metal, progressive metal-- there is a very high probability that they might hate or denounce his music. I hope no one starts listening to Death out of the blue one day.

Let some images be on our blog.





















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home